I've been working on some side tables in my living room to get them looking more updated.
The rectangular one I bought at the thrift store for about $5 and the hexagon one I picked up off the curb from someone who was giving it away. They definitely weren't what I wanted, but free and/or cheap and functional is what I needed at the time.
Both had glass tops. The Hexagon was missing the glass on the bottom too.
Nothing too fancy or noteworthy about either of these tables.
First I pulled off both tables tops. Each of them were just screwed into the base from the bottom.
Then I used 1 x 4 and 1 x 6 scraps to form the top.
I like the different grain and knots in the pine.
On this you can see how I attached the individual pieces underneath with a little scrap piece.
All I really did was clean them up a bit and sand some of the flat parts to remove a little of the finish before painting. I use a paint and primer mix and have good luck with that.
After sanding the tops I stained them and sealed them with a clear matte finish.
I will eventually cut, paint and attach that.
Since it attaches from the bottom I can do it later and it won't mess things up.
I am also debating on doing a little distressing on the painted bases.
For now I am going to leave it and see what I think.
Next up a revamp of my coffee table.
- 1 x 4 and 1 x 6 pieces cut to size.
- 60 degree angles cut on table saw. I used the old hexagon top to trace out the size and then lined it up on the table saw to cut. It was cut while the support pieces underneath were attached.
- Minwax Stains Wood Finish in Jacobean and Pickled Oak mixed to a 1:1 ratio. I probably could have got a different stain to achieve this color but I already had a large can of Jacobean and didn't want to waste it so I bought a small Pickled Oak to mix it with.
- Rustoleum 2X Primer and Paint in Heirloom White. I used 2 cans for each table.