Friday, December 12, 2014

Speedo Fridays

This post scares me ever so slightly.
I've made Speedos before....as a joke....for a baby shower gift.
I never thought I would actually be making them for real....for my teenage son.
Yikes!

Let's just start this by saying that swim team boys are C.R.A.Z.Y.
Maybe it is from holding their breath so much or breathing chlorine fumes, not sure.
But one of the team traditions is "Speedo Friday".
And it is exactly what it says: anyone who wants to wears a Speedo to Friday's practice.
My son wanted to participate so badly last year, because that is the "cool" thing to do, but I never got around to making any for him.
I didn't want to buy one, because let's face it, I knew I could make one.
Hello! I've been making tankini bottoms for girls for years.
The only real difference here is adding a drawstring.

So this year will be different.
He can participate in style on Speedo Fridays.



Wow, that is not much fabric.
He modeled for us and his older sisters about DIED of embarrassment.  Let's just say that gold piece looks an awful lot like your skin color.





Here's a hint for drawstrings--when you thread it through, pull the right side drawstring through the left side hole and vice versa.  The drawstring will be crossed underneath inside the casing.  This will help eliminate your kid pulling too hard and ripping the buttonholes.  Just saying....from very recent experience.

Details:
  • Kwik Sew pattern 2881 (which is out of print).  I can't remember where I found the pattern, but it was brand new unopened.  Score!!  
K2881, Shirt, Shorts & Trunks
  • Swim fabric from the stash--gold was bought at Jo-Ann's I know for sure, the rest were thrift store finds.
  • Drawstring from 3/8 inch polyester ribbon.  We tried 100% cotton, but once it is wet it is dang near impossible to untie.

1 comment:

  1. I love them, there hilarious and any swim team boy would sport them in style. Great job!!! The boys on my team growing up would of loved these. Is your a summer only team or a year round team?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...