Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Goals, Motivation, and Finishing What You Start!

I can't remember if I told you all (and I'm too lazy to go searching back) about the goal I set for myself at the beginning of the year.  It was that I couldn't start any new projects until I had my current projects list finished (or at the very least, under control!).  At the time my WIP list was hovering somewhere around 14 quilts. Ridiculous!  As you can imagine it was feeling daunting and overwhelming.  And my sewing room was out-of-control messy.

Blue/Green String Scraps Baby Quilt
Now that we are half way thru the year I thought it'd be fun to do a little progress report to show myself how I am doing.  

I am happy to say that I haven't started a single new project in 2012 (block swaps and bees don't count) that wasn't already in the works!  Can you believe it?  Neither can I!  

Baby "Children at Play"

Seems my normal mode of operation goes a little something like this:  Start a project off with a flurry of excitement and activity, get stuck on one thing (like finding a backing or making the last few blocks, etc...), only to put it aside for "later" and then start another new project. I figured out that my normal turn around time for any given quilt is between 6-9 months.  Seems a little crazy seeing how I sew every day.  Lots of sewing should = Fast turn around, right?

Leftovers from Ashlees' yellow and grey

I am happy to report that so far this year I have completed six bigger quilts (my finishes on the sidebar), with five little baby ones waiting for their bindings. (Yay, me!)  ALL of which where started LAST year.  (Boo, me!)   I still have three more bigger ones to go, but can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.  As an added bonus, my sewing room is cleaner and my mind is less cluttered.  Go figure!

Now that my WIP list is under control I am dying to start some new projects.
I've got some ideas... But since I just got my copy of Sunday Morning Quilts I will probably start there.


Here's to finishing what you start!!!
Emily

7 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed! I had a very similar goal this year and I have failed. (Boo ME!)

    You are an inspiration and your quilts are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me when I say it has been SOOO HARD not to start anything new!!! But well worth it in the end.

      Delete
  2. Hooray for you Emily! It does feel really good to finish what is already started and I totally agree with you that it also clears up the mental state of mind. I have been on a similar path here in my sewing room :o) It is oh so very tempting to start new things (AND to buy new fabrics), but I'm trying to finish what is already started and use what I already have.

    Love seeing the beautiul things you are working on! Keep up the momentum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well done, Emily! Those WIP's all look really good and shouldn't take too long to finish. I have all sorts of WIP's and I should take stock again too. Mine aren't just quilts though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm trying to reduce (reuse, recycle) the quantity of projects and stuff in my sewing room. I have to say that sometimes I just want to finish something, anything, and so I do what I can quickly or what makes me happy, even if it wasn't really on the current list.

    I want to try something out of Sunday Morning Quilts too, but I've got to finish the other WIP scrappy quilt first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I have to say is a BIG thumbs up to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's pretty darn impressive that you haven't started any new projects this year. Wow! 14 WIPs is daunting. I was at 25 quilt WIPs at one time. I felt frantic! I'm at 11 (about) right now. I'd love to get it lower, but the allure of a new project is just too much sometimes. I keep striving, though.

    So do you know what you are going to start next? Not to tempt you or anything.... :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...