Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Black and White quilt

I've been wanting to do a black and white quilt, but nothing was really grabbing me (this was before discovering the houndstooth) so I came up with my own. Isn't it a minimalist beauty? OK, could be my opinion only. This one is also for the basement. And it's my biggest yet. Super simple. Traditional quilters are probably hyperventilating right about now, but I say we all can be friends. :)



Quilt Front




Quilt Back


finished quilt measures 61" x 81"
I bought 3 1/2 yards of this fabric and then cut it in half.
Pieced the two halves together.
And that's how I got my size.




these quilt lines are 4" apart
do you know the blue painter's tape trick?
um, it's the best (thanks, EM)




detail of how the quilting looks on the back.
this fabric is McKenzie by Dena
I purchased it locally, but looks like you can purchase online too





Note: I got lazy and didn't pre wash my binding fabric. Huge mistake. One I will never make again. It really warped the borders. And so......the handstitching has already snapped twice....when the girls use their great manners and yank the blanket out of my hands. So annoying. But there is no way I'm going to unpick. Lesson learned peeps.

12 comments:

  1. I absolutely love it!! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! I love the simplicity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much fun! I have been collecting black and white fabrics for a while to make a quilt. Now I just have to find time to get back to sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Completely and utterly fabulous. LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! I am sooooo in love with this quilt! It is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is fabulous! It's funny how we so quickly forget the beauty of simplicity.

    What color white and what binding fabric did you use? They're perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty! let me just say i wasn't digging it the first few pictures, but when i saw it on the the couch, i luv it! It's great!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing this quilt. My husband wanted me to make a quilt for his brother who is being married, but I couldn't find one that we thought he and his future wife would like. When he saw this, we decided to go for it. And since it was simple, I could get it done before the wedding, even though I had less than 2 weeks. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Any interest in selling one? It's gorgeous and just what I've been looking for!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...