Friday, December 24, 2010

Santa Cookies

The first Saturday of December my friend Sarah hosted her annual cookie exchange. I love these, as I really am not a huge fan of making cookies. So the idea of making one kind and then coming home with 8-10 kinds really works for me. Sarah has everyone bring a dozen cookies for each person invited--already packaged up. We all go around and grab our selections, taking them home in a laundry basket or similar. And then she hosts a brunch for us all. It is so much fun.

This year I made one of my kids favs--the Santa Cookie.

We found this idea a number of years ago in the book Cookies! A Cookie Lover's Collection, pg. 204, and have tweaked it just a bit for more of our liking.


(photo courtesy of recipe book)

All you need is a basic round sugar cookie. I used our Mom's basic sugar cookie recipe below. But you could also just buy them--even easier. Try this recipe if you need a scrumptious thick sugar cookie.


  • Add some white frosting.
  • Red sugar sprinkles for the hat.
  • Mini chocolate chips for eyes.
  • 1/2 of a Mini marshmallow for the pom-pom on the hat.
  • Cinnamon red hot for the nose, or a little dab of red frosting.
  • Coconut (if you like it) for the beard. You could also use white sugar sprinkles.
There you have it.



Mom's Basic Sugar Cookie Recipe

Cream together:
1 c. shortening
1 1/2 c. sugar

Add:
2 eggs

Add:
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/3 c. milk

Add:
4 c. flour (I usually add 2, mix, then add the other 2 c.)
Bake at 350º for 8 minutes. (I find I need to bake mine 10-12 minutes on my stoneware)


NOTE: Double this recipe made 8 dozen cookies using a 2 - 3/4" diameter biscuit cutter.

1 comment:

  1. We loved the cookies, too. They look great and taste great.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...