Saturday, September 18, 2010

Project Million Amigos Bag Tutorial


This is for anyone who needs specific instructions on how to make a bag for the bag project we are working on. 

Finished Dimensions:
14" W x 16" H (doesn't need to be exact)
Mitered corners at the bottom to square off (optional)
1 1/2" W x 26" long handle (approximate length--can go up to about 30")
Basic Zihuatanejo Bag Directions:
Materials:
Thread
2 pieces of fabric cut 15"x 18"
Handle piece cut 3-4" wide x 28-30" long


  1. RST sew the 2 sides and bottom of the bag.
  2. Finish seams (serge or zig-zag or pinked edges). Based on what was shown me in the past as an example, they were not even finishing the seams. This personally makes me a bit crazy as I know what I am capable of producing. Also, thinking to myself, just because we are sending it to a 3rd world country doesn't mean we have to send shoddy workmanship. Do what you are comfortable with. I promise I won't judge, because really, they can use whatever we send.
  3. Miter bottom corners of the bag. I do this by matching the bottom and side seam and then measuring about 1 1/2" from the point and sewing across. I also clip off the excess and finish edge. This too could be optional. I just like the shape of the bag better if it is squared off a bit on the bottom.
  4. Sew strap by folding in half lengthwise and sewing 1/4" seam.
  5. Turn strap RS out and press and topstitch. I like it topstitched to keep the strap from "rolling".
  6. Press down the top hem about 1 1/2".
  7. Turn hem under one more time.
  8. Position straps at the side seams sandwiched into the hem seam. Make sure the strap isn't twisted.
  9. Sew top bag hem at about 5/8" to 1", making sure the straps are sewn in.
  10. Flip straps up and topstitch down on outside of bag to secure.



In the past I've pieced fabric together to get the 15"x18" size. I've also added a pocket at times, or I've done a little ribbon trim or embroidery on the bag if I think it is too "boring".

Be creative!

Once again check HERE for more info and details on how to participate.
Don't be afraid to email us if you have any questions. emilylovesbaskets@msn.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...