Monday, April 19, 2010

Zig Zag Quilt

My first quilt.

This style stopped me dead in my tracks when I saw them. I knew I had to make one. Here's my version.

(click to enlarge any photo)




The finished quilt is 54.5" by 76.25"
I used this tutorial
***Updated--The tutorial is no longer available on the web so use this pdf version instead.***






full view





back of quilt




showing quilt in the space it was created for




detail view of binding



More photos HERE on my personal blog

P.S. Emily helped a ton with this. I would never have even tried if she weren't around. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I used all her tools and picked her brain often. She even donated a few blues for the quilt. I'm so happy with the results that I'm brainstorming a second quilt. (Different pattern. Different fabrics). Still picking her brain because I'm in way over my head. I recently got rid of a ton of old bedding/blankets we had in our closet. Most of them donated to us over the years. Nice to have, but really, really ugly.
So I like having a pretty blanket laying around. And one more would great.

25 comments:

  1. Aren't you glad I made you hand-sew the binding? It looks really, really nice!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the look of hand-sew binding so much better than machine sew! It might take longer but its so worth it

      Delete
  2. it looks so amazing. i love the colors they are so soft and cozy. just beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! You must love your space now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! Very soothing colors to go along with the comfy quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh it is so lovely and looks good in that space...

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful!! Pretty amazing for a first quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is your first? It looks amazing! Great fabric choices.. stitching is wonderful too. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely quilt.. like all the blues

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the blue zig zag quilt. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow! That looks amazing! so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love your quilts and added them to my pinboard here

    http://pinterest.com/sharonmckeeman/quilts/

    i will be doing a blog post about my pinboards soon:)

    www.lovelybud.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. congratulations on making such a beautiful quilt! I was browsing zigzag quilts on Flickr and your really leapt out from the screen. You must be delighted with it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. we all want to thank you for the inspiration...Pam, sisters and friends http://quiltingsquareone.blogspot.com/2010/07/on-recent-trip-to-visit-my-sisters-in.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this quilt, LOVE it!!! Tried to take the link to the other blog but was denied, do you have a tutorial anywhere??

    ReplyDelete
  15. just came across this post and the tutorial, did you use the same amounts of fabric as in the tutorial?? going to go buy fabric to make and I prefer the bigger size (the blog references a smaller finished quilt top of 45x61). also, did you quilt it yourself, just stitching along the white zig zag??? that'd def save money! CUTE quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. where is the tutorial? please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tutorial is linked in the body of the post. It says "I used this tutorial." Click on the word tutorial.

      Delete
  17. I noticed your size is different. What did you do differently from the tutorial to make it that size? :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the zig zag quilt, but the tutorial is not there anymore. Would you put a tutorial up for those of us who are dying to make one? Thanks so much. Susie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Please tell me how much fabric to buy to make a queen size quilt for my daughter's wedding next year. If I use white, two blues and two greens, that is. I'll just do the front and have someone else quilt it.
    Please help. Thank you!!
    Charlene Stephens Robinson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will have to refer to the PDF(linked in the post) for fabric requirements.

      Delete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Did you use 2 1/2 inch strips like the moda pattern or a little bigger?? your zig zags look bigger but it's hard to know from pictures :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...