Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Jean Skirt

Just as I was getting ready to pare down my growing pile of magazine subscriptions (Family Fun was on the chopping block), my current issue arrived in my mailbox. I saw this cute skirt to make with old jeans and couldn't resist. One thing I love is cute and EASY projects! This one is both!

(The FF website stinks in my opinion so I couldn't find any web directions for this project, only my pitiful picture of the magazine article. I think you can read the directions if you click on the picture and make it bigger.)

I have seen these types of skirts all over, but never got around to actually making one until this article showed up. It was a very simple project that anyone can do regardless if you have sewing abilities or not. The FF directions call for the skirt to be glued together with fabric glue (an easy no-sew project for non-sewers). Being a sewer, though, I just couldn't bring myself to glue an article of clothing that I can easily sew!

These are the original pants, still cute, but about 2 inches too short for the 6yr old! Sorry cousin B, they were going to be yours until I saw this article! :)

Here is my finished skirt complete with sassy 6yr old model.
I added the ruffle because 1. I wanted the skirt to go to the knee 2. I thought it would be cute to add some color to the white and match all the beaded detailing.

Front and Back Views

Depending on the finished length of your skirt, I found that you don't need to cut a triangle piece for the back unless you want it to be to the knee or longer.

I am excited about how this project turned out. I did it last night in about 1 1/2 hours, but that inclued adding the ruffle, too. So, without the ruffle, it would be an easy 30-45 minute project.

I think I am going to make a blue denim skirt like this for Miss K (and maybe a matching one for Baby S) and either do it without a ruffle, or add some sort of patriotic fabric to the bottom (in time for the 4th of July). CUTE!! Another variation I thought of would be to just sew around the unfinished edge and then let it fray.

7 comments:

  1. This looks wonderful!! The ruffle is so cute, I can understand both your reasons for adding it :-)
    My daugther will not wear jeans -she'll only wear pants made from velour :-) So I can't make one for her, but maybe I'll have an extra look at those jeans I was going to throw out.....and make myself a -somewhat longer- skirt?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is darling with the ruffle

    ReplyDelete
  3. How very fun! The ruffle is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bummer for my B.--but now we'll have to take an extra look at some of our jeans. That turned out really cute. I am liking the patriotic theme too. I'll have to look into that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeah...totally agree about the Family Fun website. For as good a magazine as it is you'd think their website would be topnotch--NOT!! I avoid it as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love FF, not their website, as stated. Very cute - almost, and I stress ALMOST - wish I could go back to little kids & do it over.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...